Want to make a difference in your community, and develop your own professional skills? By volunteering as a governor or trustee, you can do both.
IMPORTANT: If you have already signed up to Inspiring the Future, simply log in, click ‘My Profile, ‘My Activities’ and add School Governor. Your profile will then appear in searches made by local schools looking for governors.
Governors and trustees are volunteers who play an important role in leading our schools. They set the strategic vision and direction, approve the budget and hold the senior leadership team to account. Despite a quarter of a million people across England already volunteering as school governors, it is estimated that one in ten school governor positions are vacant. Could you #JoinThe250k to help change children’s futures?
Want to find out more?
If you want to know more about becoming a governor, enter your details below and a member of the team will be in touch by by email within two working days.
What sets Inspiring Governance apart?
Inspiring Governance can help you find a school governor role that develops, inspires and challenges you. What sets Inspiring Governance apart?
- Connect with local schools and colleges via our easy-to-use website.
- Our innovative mapping tool allows you to view opportunities near you and schools can see that you are interested.
- Once appointed, receive free expert support and training from the National Governance Association (NGA), the leading independent charity that supports and promotes good governance in schools.
Why should you become a school governor?
Our volunteers tell us that the benefits of being a governor are immense. These benefits include:
- Developing your professional skills and experience such as strategic planning, chairing, financial planning, and team working, all of which are valued by employers and can assist your own career development;
- Building relationships and networks in your locality and;
- Supporting children and young people in your community.
Anyone over the age of 18 can be a governor and you don’t need to be a parent. Find out more about the role.
Applying to become a governor is easy
You can either sign up to become a governor by following the steps below, or request more information by using the form at the bottom of this page.
To sign up as a potential governor:
- Your journey starts with a simple online registration. Tell us a little about your skills, experience and preferences in relation to being a governor.
- Your profile can be seen by local schools and colleges seeking new recruits.
- If your profile catches their eye, they will contact you through the website for an initial chat to start the process. Your commitment at this stage is simply to find out more.
- You can also view governor vacancies near you and express an interest for more information.