Want to make a difference in your community, and develop your own professional skills? By volunteering as a school governor or trustee, you can do both. Sign up here
Watch our campaign video by clicking the image below:
School governors and trustees play an important role in leading our schools
They set the strategic vision and direction, approve the budget and hold the senior leadership team to account.
Why become a school governor?
Our volunteers tell us that the benefits of being a governor are immense. These benefits include:
- Developing your professional skills and experience such as strategic planning, chairing, financial planning, and team working, all of which are valued by employers and can assist your own career development;
- Building relationships and networks in your locality and;
- Supporting children and young people in your community.
Anyone over the age of 18 can be a governor and you don’t need to be a parent. Find out more about the role.
Applying to become a governor is easy
Inspiring Governance can help you find a school governor role that develops, inspires and challenges you. It’s free and easy to use.
- Connect with local schools and trusts via our easy-to-use website.
- Our innovative mapping tool allows you to view opportunities near you and schools can see that you are interested.
- Once appointed, receive a free copy of Welcome to Governance, the introductory guide to governance produced by the National Governance Association (NGA).
Sign up with Inspiring Governance and look for vacancies near you
- Your journey starts with a simple online registration. Tell us a little about your skills, experience and preferences in relation to being a governor.
- Your profile can be seen by local schools and trusts seeking new recruits.
- If your profile catches their eye, they will contact you through the website for an initial chat to start the process. Your commitment at this stage is simply to find out more.
- You can also view governor vacancies near you and express an interest for more information.
Support from us and your board
To help induct you into your new governance role:
- You will receive a complimentary copy of the induction guide Welcome to Governance, produced by the National Governance Association.
- You can access our resources page with handy links to key documents and resources from the NGA and the DfE around the governance role.
- If aged under 40 then you are able to join the National Governance Association’s Young Governor Network
Your board will support your induction with access to a local or national training offer provided by your local authority, diocese, academy trust or the NGA. They may also provide a buddy scheme, pairing you up with a more experienced governor for your first term in role.
Questions? Please contact us at email@example.com or phone 020 7566 4880.