Want to make a difference in your community, and develop your own professional skills? By volunteering as a school governor or trustee, you can do both.
School governors and trustees play an important role in leading our schools
They set the strategic vision and direction, approve the budget and hold the senior leadership team to account.
Why become a school governor?
Our volunteers tell us that the benefits of being a governor are immense. These benefits include:
- Developing your professional skills and experience such as strategic planning, chairing, financial planning, and team working, all of which are valued by employers and can assist your own career development;
- Building relationships and networks in your locality and;
- Supporting children and young people in your community.
Anyone over the age of 18 can be a governor and you don’t need to be a parent. Find out more about the role.
Applying to become a governor is easy
Inspiring Governance can help you find a school governor role that develops, inspires and challenges you. It’s free and easy to use.
- Connect with local schools and colleges via our easy-to-use website.
- Our innovative mapping tool allows you to view opportunities near you and schools can see that you are interested.
- Once appointed, receive free expert support and training from the National Governance Association (NGA), the leading independent charity that supports and promotes good governance in schools.
Sign up with Inspiring Governance and look for vacancies near you
- Your journey starts with a simple online registration. Tell us a little about your skills, experience and preferences in relation to being a governor.
- Your profile can be seen by local schools and colleges seeking new recruits.
- If your profile catches their eye, they will contact you through the website for an initial chat to start the process. Your commitment at this stage is simply to find out more.
- You can also view governor vacancies near you and express an interest for more information.
Training and Support
You will receive:
- A complimentary copy of an NGA induction guide – Welcome to Governance or Welcome to a Multi Academy Trust (dependent on school type);
- Access to NGA’s extensive online guidance centre containing a wealth of governance resources;
- Dedicated telephone and email support – staffed by professional advisers – to walk you through your first year;
- NGA’s weekly e-newsletter featuring the latest education news and policy updates;
- A monthly ‘hot topics’ email designed especially for new governors and trustees;
- Access to eight CPD accredited, e-learning induction modules on NGA Learning Link:
-Your organisation: curriculum and school structures
-Strategy: vision and values
-Progress and attainment: understanding schools structures
-Resources: finance and staffing
-Working Together: building the team
-Compliance: statutory responsibility and risk
-Effectiveness: making an impact and changing lives;
There are also two bite-size modules that volunteers can take;
– Arts & Cultural Education
This support and training is designed to complement local and face-to-face training which will be provided by your school as part of your induction.Sign up now for 12 months free support
Questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 020 7566 4880.