Inspiring Governance connects skilled volunteers interested in serving as school governors and trustees with schools in England. It also provides free, expert support for volunteers and governing bodies, as well as for employers wanting to run programmes for their staff serving as school governors.
Sign up now
The service aims to:
- Increase the number of volunteers, especially those with business-related skills and with diverse backgrounds, serving as governors and trustees in schools;
- Support governors matched through the service with training and resources, helping them be effective members of governing boards.
Inspiring Governance is supported and funded by the Department for Education.
It is run by the charity Education and Employers and the National Governance Association (NGA) in partnership with the Association of School and College Leaders (ASCL) and National Association of Head Teachers (NAHT). We also work closely with Academy Ambassadors and other key partners.
Volunteer to be a school governor or trustee
Inspiring Governance can help you find a school governor role that develops, inspires and challenges you. What sets Inspiring Governance apart?
- Connect with local schools and colleges via our easy-to-use website.
- Our innovative mapping tool allows you to view school governor or trustee opportunities near you and schools can see that you are interested.
- Once appointed, receive free expert support and training from the National Governance Association (NGA), the leading independent charity that supports and promotes good governance in schools.
Find out more and register here.
Find school governors or trustees
The Inspiring Governance online technology lets you quickly search for volunteers based on skills, experience and location. You can then directly contact as many as you like, and invite them to have a conversation with you about the vacancy and what it entails. You can recruit for vacancies in a single school, or across multiple schools.
Once placed, your new school governors/trustees will have access to training and resources through the National Governance Association (NGA) to help them through their first year in the role. This includes a dedicated NGA helpline and email. NGA support covers:
- Understanding the role and responsibilities of governing
- Understanding the core functions of the governing board
- Becoming effective as quickly as possible
- Staying motivated and committed to school governance
The NGA training is delivered through e-learning modules and has been designed to complement any training available from the school, trust or local authority.
Ready to start recruiting? Download our Guidance for Recruiters and User guide for Inspiring Governance, which shows you step-by-step how to find and message volunteers interested in becoming school governors, and post your vacancies on the Inspiring Governance site.
Find out more and register here.Sign up now