Thanks for taking the first step to becoming a Bristol school governor or trustee. Please apply here and we will match you with an appropriate school. We’ve made it easy to match schools needing your skills and professional experience.
By signing up you’ll join a network of willing volunteers looking for a place on the board of governors or trustees. We wish you every success in your role.
Please use this link to ensure you are matched with vacancies in the Bristol area. Then follow the steps below.
Apply to Be a Governor
1. Create your account. You’ll need to enter your postcode and a few details about yourself. Once you’ve created your account, we’ll start the process to match you with a school.
2. Visit the school and check it’s right for you. Once matched with a potential school you’ll meet key staff and/or governors to check both you and the school are clear about the role and what you can offer. This is your opportunity to ask questions and decide if it is the right match for you before the school proposes you as a governor.
3. Take your place. If you decide to become a governor and if you’re successfully appointed, you can take your place on the governing board or as a trustee.
To support you in your new governance role:
- You will receive a complimentary copy of the induction guide Welcome to Governance, produced by the National Governance Association.
- You can access our resources page with handy links to key documents and resources from the NGA and the DfE around the governance role.
- If aged under 40 then you are able to join the National Governance Association’s Young Governor Network
- Your board will support your induction with access to a local or national training offer provided by your local authority, diocese, academy trust or the NGA. They may also provide a buddy scheme, pairing you up with a more experienced governor for your first term in role.
- Training is also offered by Bristol City Council’s Governor Development Service.
As a volunteer, your profile will be available online to schools registered with Inspiring Governance. Some brief information will let them know your experience and skills. Schools recruiting governors can contact you to invite you for a further discussion about their vacancies.
Use this link to be matched with vacancies in the Bristol area.
What to do if you have questions
The online application process is user friendly and there are excellent resources available once you’ve opened your account.
Questions about the online application process
Questions? Please contact us at email@example.com or phone 020 7566 4880.
Questions about being a governor
Inspiring Governance advice and guidance pages:
Be a Governor in Bristol advice and guidance
Could you be a governor? – an introduction (interactive pdf)
Want to contact a Bristol adviser?
Email Bristol City Council’s Governor Development Service at BeAGovernor@bristol.gov.uk