The Charity Education and Employers has signed the Armed Forces Covenant to pledge our support to those who serve or have served, their families and the wider Armed Forces community.
We are an Armed Forces friendly employer and as part of this, we recognise there are key service personnel and family members, with a wide variety of skills and experience, who could contribute significantly to schools and outcomes for young people, as well as benefiting from the CPD opportunity themselves.
We believe that these unique skills could be of great benefit to school governing boards and invite members of the Armed Forces community to consider signing up to our Inspiring Governance service.
Benefits of being a school governor are significant for:
· those preparing to leave the Armed Forces as they transition to employment in civilian life
· those whose units are not on active duty looking for community involvement opportunities
· partners looking for an opportunity to develop skills
· those utilising STEM subjects in their role
· members of the civilian workforce looking for career development.
Our offer to Armed Forces Communities
We want to make sure any volunteer placed through the service becomes a great governor. That means providing support once they’ve started. Everyone we place will be able to access a range of support from our partnership with the NGA. This includes:
· a dedicated telephone and email support throughout their first year
· a copy of the essential induction guide for governors or trustees
· access to NGA’s online guidance centre containing a wealth of resources
· access to eight in-depth induction e-learning modules via NGA Learning Link
· membership of the Young Governors’ Network for volunteers under the age of 40.
The skills-set, training and leadership gained throughout Service life is directly transferable to this worthwhile role. It’s immensely enjoyable and hugely rewarding; there can be no better way to serve your community!’’
Air Vice Marshal Elaine West CBE, Trustee, Education and Employers said
‘Our regionally based Managers can meet with people who are interested in a more strategic approach across the Armed Forces Communities. They can offer a bespoke service including producing materials for your social media and other information networks such as magazines, radio and blogs. Contact details available from our Head Office’.