Are you interested in supporting children in your local community? Passionate about improving outcomes at schools to ensure young people reach their full potential? Then why not become a school governor!
Stoke-on-Trent City Council is only the second local authority in the country to sign up to the School Governor Champion Charter and pledge our support to champion the role of school governor and to enable our staff and encourage others to join the boards of local schools.
School governors come from all areas of society, ethnic backgrounds and ages. They are volunteers who play an important part in education across the City.
You don’t need to be a parent or have any formal qualifications to become a governor, but you must be willing to listen and to contribute to a team, have time to commit to a local school and want to improve local education.
Meetings are usually in the early evening, last a couple of hours and take place roughly twice a term. Free training is provided for governors.
We see supporting school governance as a win-win opportunity. There are huge benefits to our organisation, our employees and our community by placing professionals in leadership positions in schools:
- Schools recruit great local people to their boards.
- Staff gain professional skills and experience that will help them at work and in their career.
- Organisations benefits from free workforce development from staff developing professional skills in strategic planning, teamwork, influencing, communication, financial management, and much more.
We encourage more local employers to follow our lead.
Free training and support:
Inspiring Governance provides free, expert support and CPD accredited training for volunteers. As well as advice to local governing boards and for employers wanting to run programmes for their staff serving as governors.
Through Inspiring Governance volunteers can:
- Connect with local schools and colleges via our easy-to-use website.
- Use the Inspiring Governance mapping tool to view available vacancies near them and express an interest.
- Once appointed, receive free expert support and training from the National Governance Association (NGA).
Click here to request more information from your Inspiring Governance regional manager, Richard.
Click here to register to become a school governor.
Click here if you are a local business wanting to explore how you too could become a School Governor Champion by emailing your regional manager, Richard.