Improve your workplace skills alongside a team of professionals as a school governor with East Sussex County Council.
Becoming a governor
Volunteer as a school governor to help improve education in your local community.
- improve your work skills
- receive valuable training
- gain experience of managing an organisation
- raise questions, discuss issues and help make decisions.
A governor usually serves for four years. But they are volunteers, so can leave at any time. They can also be re-elected or re-appointed.
Who can become a governor?
We welcome applications from people of all backgrounds. You don’t have to be a parent or hold any qualifications. You’ll need to meet some legal requirements though, such as an enhanced DBS check.
You must be:
- over 18
- interested in children’s education
- able to commit 5-8 hours a month
- discreet, open minded and fair
- able to share your ideas
- enthusiastic and a team player.
Schools are also keen to hear from people with business skills.
Types of governor
Every maintained school has a governing board, made up of:
- Parent governors, elected by school parents
- Staff governors, elected by school staff
- Local Authority (LA) governors, nominated by the LA
Voluntary Aided church schools also have:
What support is available to governors?
Support is offered at school by:
- the head teacher
- chair of governors
- other governors and;
- the clerk to the governing board.
The Governor and Clerking Service provide training and support. They work across all sectors including Academies and Free Schools. Email Governor and Clerking Service or call 01323 466885.
National Governor organisations provide further online support and advice.
There is also free support available from the National Governance Association (NGA) when you find a governor or trustee role through the Inspiring Governance service. The NGA training has been designed to be complimentary to other training that may be offered. This includes:
- Dedicated telephone and email support – staffed by professional advisors
- Eight in-depth induction modules on NGA Learning Link
- Free copy of the essential guide for governors or trustees
- Access to the extensive online guidance centre
Your Inspiring Governance Regional Manager, Michael is on hand to offer advice and guidance, during your journey to becoming a school governor: firstname.lastname@example.org / 07715 201844