Are you interested in supporting children in your local community? Passionate about improving outcomes at schools to ensure young people reach their full potential? Then why not become a school governor!
Oxfordshire County Council is the first local authority in the country to sign up to the School Governor Champion Charter and pledge our support to champion the role of school governor and to enable our staff and encourage others to join the boards of local schools.
School governors come from all areas of society, ethnic backgrounds and ages. They are volunteers who play an important part in education across the County.
You don’t need to be a parent or have any formal qualifications to become a governor, but you must be willing to listen and to contribute to a team, have time to commit to a local school and want to improve local education.
Meetings are usually in the early evening, last a couple of hours and take place roughly twice a term.
We see supporting school governance as a win-win opportunity. There are huge benefits to our organisation, our employees and our community by placing professionals in leadership positions in schools:
- Schools recruit great local people to their boards.
- Staff gain professional skills and experience that will help them at work and in their career.
- Organisations benefits from free workforce development from staff developing professional skills in strategic planning, teamwork, influencing, communication, financial management, and much more.
We encourage more local employers to follow our lead.
Personal and Professional Development:
- Develop your professional skills and experience such as strategic planning, chairing, team working and financial planning, all of which are valued by employers and can support career development
- Building relationships and networks in your locality
- Supporting children and young people in your community
Through Inspiring Governance volunteers can:
- Connect with local schools and colleges via our easy-to-use website.
- Use the Inspiring Governance mapping tool to view available vacancies near them and express an interest.
- Once appointed, receive a free induction to governance handbook produced by the National Governance Association (NGA).
Click here to register to become a school governor.
Questions? Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 020 7566 4880.